Fr. Raymond G. Helmick, S.J.
Esteemed Theologian, Educator and Peacemaker . . .
COURSES AT RELATED BOSTON THEOLOGICAL INSTITUTE (BTI) SCHOOLS:
- St. John’s Seminary
- Christian-Jewish Relations, 1985-1987.
- Christian-Muslim Relations, 1985-1987.
- Andover Newton Theology School, with Rodney Petersen
- Religion and Social Conflict: Identity, Instrumentality and Interfaith Relations, 2000.
- Holy Cross, Greek Orthodox School of Theology, with Rodney Petersen,
- Role of Religion in the Search for Peace, 2001.
- Russian Seminar and Workshop, in preparation for an early summer visit to Russia, 2002.
- Episcopal Divinity School, with Rodney Petersen
- Comparative Christianity: Building Structures of Reconciliation, 2002 and 2003.
- Boston University Theology School, with Rodney Petersen, several times with Dr. Thomas Porter.
- The Shifting Contours of Contemporary Ecumenism, 2004.
- International Conflict Transformation: Religion and the Ministry of Reconciliation, 2004-2009, and 2011-2013
- The Principles and Practices of Forgiveness: A Psychological, Theological and Political Challenge Before the Churches and Religious Communities, 2010.
These courses were the basis for the establishment of a Concentration in Conflict studies for the various schools of the BTI, now a Minor under the direction of Dr. Thomas Porter. It always attracted students from the full range of BTI schools.
COURSES AT BOSTON COLLEGE:
- Northern Ireland Conflict, Fall 1984 - 2003.
- Principles of Conflict Resolution, Fall 1984 - 2002.
- Lebanon in Conflict, Fall 1984 - 2003.
- Sacraments and Ministry, Fall 1984 - 2003.
- Eucharist and Ministry, 2004-2007.
- Forgiveness and Reconciliation, 2003-2008.
- Israelis and Palestinians: Two Peoples Three Faiths, 1998 - 2015.
- Faith Elements in Conflicts, 1999 - 2015.
- Toward an Abrahamic Family Reunion, a four-teacher course, with Rodney Petersen (Presbyterian Director of the BTI), Professor Rabbi Sanford Seltzer (Hebrew College) and Imam, plus guest lecturer, Jerome Maryon, given three times (you can’t manage all those teachers for one course often), 2008-2009.
- Conflict resolution Film: Film as Peacemaking Tool, with John Michalczyk, 2012 and 2014. A book and a boxed set of our films were published as a result of this course.
- Conflict Transformation, 2012.
- The Crisis of Confidence in the Catholic Church, 2012-2015. The course was the basis of the book on that subject.
- Film and Genocide, with John Michalczyk, 2013. This course also eventuated in a published book, with essays by many authors, edited by John Michalczyk and myself.